[kea-dev] Expressions in option-data

Ola Thoresen ola at nytt.no
Thu Jan 21 17:46:12 UTC 2016

On 21. jan. 2016 17:48, Francis Dupont wrote:
> Ola Thoresen writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are looking into using kea as the DHCP-server in a client environment
>> to auto-provision various network equipment.
>> In the "old" isc-dhcp you could use expressions in the DHCP-replies, like:
>>
>> option bootfile-name = concat((option agent.circuit-id),".",(option
>> agent.remote-id),".cfg");
>> or
>> option hostname = binary-to-ascii (16, 8, "-", substring (hardware, 1, 6));
>>
>> Is there any way to replicate this behavior in kea?
>>
>> I know you can use a test to classify the clients, and match on
>> different options, but defining a class for each and every host to make
>> it use a certain bootfile is not really feasible...
> => Kea provides another way to do this (and portentially any) kind
> of things: the hooks.

Thanks for the reply.
I see that
http://git.kea.isc.org/~tester/kea/doxygen/d8/db2/libdhcp_user_chk.html
is a start, however it seems a bit much to make a full "plugin" just to
be able to name the bootfile dynamically based on the options provided
from the dhcp-client (or relay)

But I will look into it.  It might open up other options that we have
not thought of yet.

Rgds.

Ola (T)