[kea-dev] DHCP hackathon in Berlin (July 16-17)

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Wed Jun 8 10:42:49 UTC 2016

Hello everyone!

There will be a IETF hackathon in Berlin and couple DHCP folks decided
to join in. It's going to take place over the weekend of 16-17 July
before the main IETF week. It's free to attend and, while most people
will likely also attend IETF, hackathon participation does not require
IETF participation (so no fees).

Details are here: http://ietf.org/hackathon/96-hackathon.html

The DHCP part is not officially announced on the official page yet, but
it will be shortly.

There will be people involved in Cisco CNR, Dibbler and obviously Kea.
Since everyone in Kea team at one time participated in ISC DHCP
development, we will have some experience in that, too, but as far as I
can tell now, there are no plans to hack anything in ISC DHCP.

So far we have several topics planned: support for RFC7550 and
upcoming RFC3315bis and development of YANG module for Kea.

This is a bit experimental approach. We'll see how much work that is and
what it would take to develop Netconf/YANG module for Kea. The last
hackathon in Yokohama ended up with significant progress with DHCP4o6.
As a result, we decided to make it more stable and include it in Kea
1.1. We will see what will come out of the next one.

Everyone with even a tiny bit of programming or administrative skills is
welcome to participate. We'll find something for you to do for sure.
If you have your own idea or a problem with Kea (or possibly other DHCP
implementation), come join us and we'll see what can be done about it.

Tomek