[kea-dev] Kea remote management client

Jake Sallee godfatherofbandwidth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:32:29 UTC 2017

Ms. Risk:

Thank you for your response.

> You don't mention whether you are planning an open source GUI or a
commercial project.  I don't think you can expect exclusivity in any case.

The project is open source, I am most likely going to use the Mozilla
license.

I agree and completely understand not expecting exclusivity.  My question
is more centered around not wanting to re-invent the wheel.  I plan to use
this project in my production environment as well as give it away for
others to use as well.

> ... So, I won't promise we won't develop a GUI, but again, as I already
mentioned, there should be room for multiple offerings.

I may have communicated poorly, I apologize for that.  I was not my
intention to state that I did not wanted Kea to develop any particular
feature.  I wanted to know the direction things are going so I can make
sure my project takes these developments into account.

Once my project (or the management client) is ready I will be placing Kea
into production on my network and you can bet I will be purchasing support
if it is available.

I have been looking at the API docs and so far it looks very promising.  If
I do run across something would this list be the appropriate place to ask
about it?

Thank you for all the information and to all the Kea devs.  Your efforts
are very much appreciated.

--The Godfather

-----------------------

Hi Jake,

This blog post says Kea is working on a secure remote management client.

https://www.isc.org/blogs/isc-receives-mozilla-moss-award/

We are working on creating a remote management capability, including both a
REST API on the server, and a client that implements that API. We need
both, obviously, in order to prove out the API and test it on an on-going
basis. We also figure that the client would be a good building block for
provisioning applications.

All the work funded by the MOSS award will be open source, including the
remote client.

I have a fledgling project I am attempting to get off the ground that will
provide a dynamic web based GUI that I intend to use for managing Kea, as
well as DNS.  But I do not think I can compete with you guys if you are
thinking about doing the same thing.

You don't mention whether you are planning an open source GUI or a
commercial project.  I don't think you can expect exclusivity in any case.
Our ISC DHCP software is the basis for at least a half dozen commercial
products, and several open source tools. Kea already has one commercial GUI
that I know of, from Men and Mice (https://www.menandmice.com/
products/dhcp-management/).

We would like to develop some sort of commercial tools for Kea, because we
need a revenue stream to support the core Kea project.  In the past 2
years, besides the MOSS award we just got, we have had zero financial
support for Kea.   As you can tell from this list, there are several
developers who work on this full-time, so obviously, we need to get
something to pay them with.  So, I won't promise we won't develop a GUI,
but again, as I already mentioned, there should be room for multiple
offerings.

I am very excited about the future of Kea and have been watching from afar
for some time now, and I would very much like to avoid duplicating effort
with the dev team.

Could someone please tell me the plans for this remote client and what it
might look like?

If you are looking at writing a management application for Kea, would you
please look at the requirements for the API and client, and see if you can
help flesh them out?  (http://kea.isc.org/wiki/ControlAPICliDesign)

- The Godfather

Victoria Risk
Internet Systems Consortium