[kea-dev] Implementing Radius-based host reservation - discussion on RADIUS support

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Tue Oct 3 08:56:08 UTC 2017

Hello,

This topic is interesting to me. We're discussing a similar need for RADIUS support within Kea.

Our need would be the following:
Allow to create and send a RADIUS Accounting message to a remote RADIUS server.
For example, send an Accounting Start when a lease is allocated, with the leased IP address along with information extracted from the DHCP request (typically options 82).
On lease expiration or release, send an Accounting Stop.

To have a minimal impact on Kea, we would not wait for the Accounting Response.

So I'm thinking, maybe it would be nice to support some kind of generic RADIUS engine within Kea, which could be used for multiple purposes. It could be used for RADIUS based reservation, or called from hooks - to do whatever we need to do with RADIUS.

This is still early, but I wanted to share with you that this is relevant to us. :)

Regards,
Nicolas.