[kea-dev] Implementing Radius-based host reservation - discussion on RADIUS support

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Tue Oct 3 13:21:21 UTC 2017

> Hi,
>
> On 03-10-17, Chaigneau, Nicolas wrote:
> > This topic is interesting to me. We're discussing a similar need for RADIUS support within Kea.
> >
> > Our need would be the following:
> > Allow to create and send a RADIUS Accounting message to a remote RADIUS server.
> > For example, send an Accounting Start when a lease is allocated, with the leased IP address along with information extracted from the DHCP request (typically options 82).
> > On lease expiration or release, send an Accounting Stop.
> >
> > To have a minimal impact on Kea, we would not wait for the Accounting Response.
>
> This sounds like something that could easily be done as a hook.
>
> In contrast, host reservation (what we are interested in) would be awkward to do as a hook, so we have an initial implementation directly in Kea.

I agree. :)

These are different purposes, but what we have in common is the need for a RADIUS client within Kea.
So if you're implementing one, I think it would be great if it could also be used from a hook library.

But maybe this is trivial, I'm not familiar with the libradcli you've chosen. I'll take a look :)

Is your implementation public yet ?