[kea-dev] The kea-msg-compiler does not support cross-compile ?

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Thu Oct 5 12:20:22 UTC 2017

W dniu 05.10.2017 o 08:32, 海浪 pisze:
> Hi all,
>     I am porting the kea project into OpenWRT (for platform mips, arm,
> x86...) but it seems the target kea-msg-compiler does not support
> cross-compile.
Am afraid you may be one of the first to try cross-compilation of Kea.
As far as I can tell, none of the ISC engineers done cross-compilation.
It is quite possible that some things are not exactly right. If you're
willing to share some patches, we'd gladly take a look. Just keep in
mind that the patches must not affect regular compilation, as this is
the great majority of our user base.

Message compiler is needed only during compilation. It takes .mes files
and produces .cc and .h files out of them. If you want to just install
Kea and keep the English messages Kea is producing by default, you don't
really need kea-msg-compiler on your target system, just on your host
system where you cross-compile.

It may be useful if you (or your users) want to modify .mes file, e.g.
to translate Kea to a different language. But then, you'd probably do
that on a PC, not on OpenWRT, right?

So my suggestion is to think whether you really need kea-msg-compiler on
your target platform. If not, you should modify the makefiles to not
require msg-compiler installation. A switch to configure would probably
be the best way to go.

Tomek