[kea-dev] Custom / RFC conform TTLs for DynDNS

Dominik Korittki D.Korittki at mittwald.de
Fri Oct 5 11:52:10 UTC 2018

Hey,

we are looking for a method to set custom TTL values to DynDNS resource
records. At the moment they are hardcoded to the valid lease time. I
already asked for possible ways to solve this on the Kea user list, but
as Francis Dupont already pointed out, there is no easy way to do this
at the moment.

Since we need this feature we're thinking about implementing a patch
for this. The idea is to set an optional ttl value (keyname "ddns-ttl")
in kea-dhcp-ddns config file, which overrides the currently implemented
default behaviour (ttl = valid lease time). Here's an example:

"DhcpDdns": {
    "forward-ddns": {
        "ddns-domains": [
            {
                "name": "",
                "key-name": "",
                "ddns-ttl": ,
                "dns-servers": [
                ]
            }
    ]
    },
    "reverse-ddns": {
        "ddns-domains": [
            {
                "name": "",
                "key-name": "",
                "ddns-ttl": ,
                "dns-servers": [
                ]
            }
        ]
    }
}
}

This would close this ticket: https://kea.isc.org/ticket/5235
As this could be a feature of public interest, would you be interested
in a pull request to this?

Best regards,
Dominik Korittki