[kea-dev] DHCP Options concern

Richard Michael richarz87 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 01:49:19 UTC 2021

Hi Kea team,

I was hoping to get some info on KEA server behaviour with respect to DHCP
offer. while sending the offer KEA server always sends the options in
ascending order rather starting with options of message type 53. Is there
any reason for this? RFC doesnt mandate anything on these lines. while
majority of the DHCP servers does send offer with option 53 why is that
only KEA server sends with ascending order?

same has been discussed here:

https://github.com/isc-projects/kea/blob/master/ChangeLog

1507. [func] tmark
kea-dhcp4 now ensures that the message type option (53) is
the first option in outbound DHCPv4 packets. This was done
to accommodate non-compliant clients that require the option
to be first.
(Gitlab #363,!177, git 34f40035bf7a7849083138cacee440a9f0991d67)

what does it mean by non compliant clients? since there is no RFC mandate
around the options ordering would KEA be sending it with DHCP offer of 53
which is the right behaviour?
--
Thanks,
Richard Michael,