[Kea-users] Add Cable Model Mac Adrress

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Tue Apr 14 12:54:48 UTC 2015

On 14/04/15 05:44, Roger Ham wrote:
> Hello
>
> I finish to install the KEO.
>
> but I have a question about if this is possible:
>
> I think to add a mac address to this table on mysql (lease storage
> config was on mysql)
> Table on mysql database Kea: lease4
>
> and  add the mac address from the CM to this field: hwaddr
> and the dhcp offer a IP from x pool?
Sadly, that is not currently possible for DHCPv4. For DHCPv6, there's a
"mac-sources" parameter for DHCPv6. It allows specifying the
MAC/hardware address sources. In particular, it supports "docsis-cmts"
value, which extracts contents of the CM MAC option and uses it as a MAC
address. It is described in the Kea User's Guide, section 8.8
(see http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#mac-in-dhcpv6).

Can you review it? I'd love to hear your opinion whether a similar
option would be useful in your use-case. If that would address your
needs, we need a ticket for it and we'll see what can we do about it.
I must honestly admit that our current schedule for 0.9.2 release is
rather tight, so it is unlikely that we'll be able to make it.

> I have a table with the criteria-class and mac address
Client-class is more difficult to do. We do have a very rudimentary
client classification support in DHCPv4. See User's Guide, section
7.2.12 for details
(http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-client-classifier).

> SO I want use Kea to delivery a IP to this cable modem and package with tftp
We did an demo some time ago where we managed to provision cable modems
running in various modes (IPv4 cable modem, IPv4 cable router,
mixed-mode, IPv6-only). It did work, but the scenario wasn't very
complex. In particular, the segregation between cable modems and any
devices behind them into separate subnets was working, but was very basic.

I encourage you to read the following sections in the Kea Users' Guide:
- 7.2.12 Client classification in DHCPv4, which explains how to
  separate cable modems and devices behind them into separate subnets
- 7.2.14 Configuring next-server field (which is used for TFTP in some
  cases)
- 7.2.15 Echoing client-id. Kea by default is conformant to RFC6842,
  i.e. it sends back client-id in its responses. We found that this
  confused some modems and those modems rejected server's packets. This
  section explains how to revert to the old behavior.

Hope that helps,
Tomek