[Kea-users] kea package in RHEL ?

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Wed Dec 9 12:23:02 UTC 2015

On 09/12/15 11:10, Antoine Roly wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> According to the documentation, Kea is officially supported on RedHat
> Enterprise Linux.
That means that to be best of our knowledge Kea should be able to run
RHEL. If you observe otherwise, it is considered a bug or lack of
functionality. Please report such cases and we'll see what we can do
about it.

> Do you plan to include a Kea package in the official
> RHEL repositories, in the epel repo,... ?
You overestimate our powers. We do not have a say what goes into RHEL
repositories. :)

Seriously speaking, we tend to not prepare distribution specific files.
Developers time is best spent working on features and bugfixes. The
results are beneficial to all users, regarding of the distribution or
operating system they're using.

Our hope is that packages will be done by people who are experienced
with packaging software for specific distributions or operating systems.
We will do our best to accommodate any changes necessary, providing they
won't conflict with other distros. In particular, we do not want to
include system specific scripts. For example, some time ago we received
scripts for systemd for distribution X. We didn't include those scripts
in Kea sources, because we know that for distribution Y those may look
slightly different. And since there's no single "right" way to write
those scripts, we simply chose to not do it.

We provide keactrl script that may be useful, but it's perfectly ok to
not use it and develop your own scripts.

Having said all that, we'd love to see Kea in RHEL one day. If there are
existing or prospective maintainers for RHEL (or any other distro for
that matter) that are willing to package Kea, please contact us. Now
that we published 1.0.0-beta, it may be a good time to start packaging Kea.

Hope that helps.

Tomek