[Kea-users] "make clean" for manual pages

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Mon Nov 2 03:41:08 UTC 2015

Francis,

I am reminded what a bad solution the Autotools are. I am sorry that I
didn't try harder for something less horrible when we started the BIND
10 project... maybe Kea would have something sane now. Anyway...

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:55:07 +0000
Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org> wrote:

> Shane Kerr writes:
>
> > I decided that I actually want documentation, because Kea requires a
> > non-trivial amount of administration to run. ;)
>
> => manual pages are in the distrib, guides on the web site, so what is
> the documentation you can't get?

I used the Git source. The man pages that got installed said 'there are
no man pages, use "make docs" to build them' or something along those
lines.

Probably my timeline was like this:

1. Download Kea
2. Fail to build
3. Install some needed packages
22. "make distclean"
23. ./configure
24. Fail to build
87. "make"... Success!
88. "make install"
123. Can't get DHCP DDNS working.
124. Look for man page.
125. Grumble...

> > "make clean" does not get rid of generated manual pages. I had to run
> > "make distclean" to do this.
> >
> > I recommend that "make clean" remove "*.8" where appropriate.
>
> => the problem is any "make clean", including an implicit one, will
> remove the manual pages. So IMHO the current solution (only "make
> distclean" removes them) is better.

Hm... I guess what I really want is for "make clean" to remove the man
pages IFF the configure option to build documentation was added. I
guess this is probably possible, although I don't know if this is
possible without M4 surgery.

Cheers,

--
Shane