[Kea-users] Back-end database recommendations?

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Wed Aug 3 08:29:53 UTC 2016

Shane Kerr writes:
> I have a system running using PostgreSQL as a back-end today, but it
> seems to be a 2nd-class citizen, with MySQL getting the most attention.

=> I don't believe it is by intention. IMHO people working on the database
code know more MySQL than PostgreSQL so your feeling is just a side effect
of that.

> This makes sense since the developers have limited resources and need
> to focus their attention on what is best for users (and sponsors).

=> limited resources == not enough to do MySQL and PostgreSQL code
major improvements in parallel.

> Finally, if I do use MySQL does anyone have experience with using
> MariaDB or Percona? I'm leaning towards MariaDB since it is not owned
> by evil corporate Oracle, but I am interested if anyone has real-world
> advice....

=> on a system I use for testings MySQL was replaced by MariaDB without
any unexpected consequences. Now I don't use it in production...

Regards

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>