[Kea-users] Kea Trac registration broken?

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Fri Aug 5 09:59:19 UTC 2016

Vicky,

[ Sending again keeping Tomek in the Cc: ]

Thanks for the feedback about Tomek being away. I'll be heading off
myself in a few days, and this is no way urgent, but it is good to know
that messages are not being dropped on the floor. :)

My main purpose to register was to fix some out-of-date text on the
site, and to look at a ticket. I think those both require an account.

Trac was pretty good 7 years ago or so, but either because we didn't
maintain it properly or because it is hard to maintain it started to be
less and less useful for us over time. The first problem was that it
was designed with Subversion in mind, and when we switched to Git it
didn't keep the nice integration that it had before (this might be
fixed now). There were also performance issues, which may be easy to
fix but we didn't have time or expertise to look at it. Finally, ISC
wanted to do some non-standard things with Trac (like hidden tickets)
which required some minor surgery.

For a basic repsitory, I agree that GitHub is quite good. I understand
that ISC should not use this as their main Git repository, both because
it doesn't fit some use cases (security incidents, customer features)
and also because you shouldn't put core assets in the cloud. Because
the cloud is just someone else's computer. ;)

Neither GitHub nor Trac have very good ticketing systems. RT is ugly
and outdated, but actually quite configurable in a reasonable way. I
don't think there are actually good answers for tracking right now....
Jira is popular but having used the Atlassian stuff it is quite heavy
and difficult to use. Luckily neither GitHub nor Trac have very bad
ticketing systems either!

Anyway, I am looking at setting up Kea with PowerDNS now since they
both share an SQL back-end. I'll let the Kea list know how it goes.

Cheers,

--
Shane