[Kea-users] dhcp4_options

Ola Thoresen ola at nytt.no
Mon Feb 8 18:05:24 UTC 2016

I am currently working on a hook (plugin) that will allow you to use
part of an option 82-value received from the dhcp-relay as (part of) an
option-value in the response.

I hope I will have some time to actually make it usable in the next
couple of days (just figured out how to actually send the new options).
I need to clean up the code and make it a bit more robust.

Not sure if this is something you can use?

This will not give the option to statically set boot file based on
hwaddr, but it will allow you to set IE "CM-10-30" as an Option 82 value
(either sub option 1, 2 or 6) at the dhcp-relay:

In Cisco-speak:

Router(config-if)# ip dhcp relay information option subscriber-id CM-10-30

And Juniper:

# set interfaces xe-0/0/0 description "CM-10-30"
# set forwarding-options dhcp-relay relay-option-82 circuit-id
  use-interface-description device

and then set something like

"option-data": [{
     "name": "boot-file-name",
     "data": "@OPTION_82_6 at .cfg"

}]

in kea.conf

Now, I realize that this is kind of abusing of the options.
Subscriber-id is supposed to be "globally unique", and "CM-10-30" is not
really a good interface description.  But at least it is flexible and
unless your provisioning platform is able to deliver the correct file
based on some other customer id, it should solve your problem without
having to maintain a full list of all hardware-addresses and their
profiles in a 3. party system.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen