[Kea-users] Running Kea with unreliable interfaces?

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Tue Feb 16 14:29:25 UTC 2016

Thomas,

At 2016-02-16 06:31:15 -0500
Thomas Markwalder <tmark at isc.org> wrote:

> > So I guess the only real question is if it is safe to have two instances
> > using the same database backend. In principle this can be done safely,
> > but if the software doesn't use transactions properly or relies on
> > in-memory copy of the state in tables, then maybe not.
>
> It should be fine.   We do not cache lease state,  all of our updates
> (to this point) consist of single sql statements, and both RDBMS back
> ends (currently) rely on auto-commit.

Hm... it's possible if the address pools are disjoint. (They are in my
case, so... win!)

If there is any overlap, then it's still possible as long as the code
is capable of recovering gracefully if an INSERT fails because someone
else already inserted a record for a given address. (Probably that's a
good idea anyway, since I can easily imagine system administrators
wanting to poke around in the database for evil reasons.)

Cheers,

--
Shane