[Kea-users] Using Host Reservations in Kea

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Wed Jun 22 14:56:37 UTC 2016

Kea Users,

Our Kea development team is currently working on preparing Kea 1.1.0. A
feature which seems to be mostly interesting to many Kea users is Host
Reservations. This feature is present in Kea 1.0.0 but has its
limitations. Kea 1.1.0 will cover most of the missing functionality,
including support for storing reservations in MySQL and Postgres. The
support for using reservations stored in MySQL is almost complete and
we're currently working to add support for Postgres. We are also working
to update the documentation (Kea User's Guide and example configuration
files) to cover everything we have added since Kea 1.0.0. For now, the
existing documentation may be inaccurate in places.

Since we receive many questions from Kea Users about using Host
Reservations feature with SQL databases, I decided to put together a
wiki page where I am showing examples of MySQL statements which can be
used to manage reservations in the database. Note, that Kea itself
doesn't currently support any commands (via command channel) to manage
reservations in the database and You need to use external tools (MySQL
clients) to manage the database content. The aforementioned wiki page is
available here:

http://kea.isc.org/wiki/HostReservationsHowTo

I am hoping that it will be useful for you while you perform pre-release
tests of host reservations.

Thanks,

Marcin Siodelski
ISC