[Kea-users] Microsoft Default Router Metric Base Option

Thomas Andersen than at itu.dk
Tue May 3 16:03:00 UTC 2016

Hi all,

We have a small problem with our windows client.
When connected to wired and wireless at the same time, both connections have the same metric (20) and in some case the wifi has lower metric than wired. (100mb etc vs 300mbit wifi)
The outcome of this is that we have more traffic on wifi than we like and also result in some connectivity issues.

I’ve been told that the DHCP can add some option to alter the metric. If I can do this for the wifi vlan it mean that traffic will go to wired instead.

The closest I’ve found is this:

ip dhcp pool test
 network 10.100.20.0 255.255.255.0
 default-router 10.100.20.1
 option 43 hex 0304.0000.0020

This adds 32 to the metric that the interface dynamically configures.

03 is the option

04 is the length

00000020 is the metric to add.

Can anyone assist me in how this would be configured in KEA?

Br,
Thomas