[Kea-users] Need help assigning subnets by class with host reservations

mrobti at insiberia.net mrobti at insiberia.net
Fri Nov 11 04:50:10 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-10 06:12, Thomas Markwalder wrote:
> [...]
>
> file.  In your case, since there are none, you see none found.  When
> Kea
> accesses the host database the logs should contain
> HOSTS_MGR_ALTERNATIVE_.   The following is a snippet from of the log
> in
> a setup I am testing with:
>
> 2016-11-09 10:18:45.018 DEBUG [kea-dhcp4.hosts/24940]
> HOSTS_CFG_GET_ONE_SUBNET_ID_ADDRESS4 get one host with reservation for
>
> subnet id 1 and IPv4 address 178.16.1.101
> 2016-11-09 10:18:45.018 DEBUG [kea-dhcp4.hosts/24940]
> HOSTS_CFG_GET_ALL_ADDRESS4 get all hosts with reservations for IPv4
> address 178.16.1.101
> 2016-11-09 10:18:45.018 DEBUG [kea-dhcp4.hosts/24940]
> HOSTS_CFG_GET_ALL_ADDRESS4_COUNT using address 178.16.1.101, found 0
> host(s)
> 2016-11-09 10:18:45.018 DEBUG [kea-dhcp4.hosts/24940]
> HOSTS_CFG_GET_ONE_SUBNET_ID_ADDRESS4_NULL host not found using subnet
> id
> 1 and address 178.16.1.101
> 2016-11-09 10:18:45.018 DEBUG [kea-dhcp4.hosts/24940]
> HOSTS_MGR_ALTERNATE_GET4_SUBNET_ID_ADDRESS4 trying alternate source
> for
> host using subnet id 1 and address 178.16.1.101
>
> The last log statement indicates that Kea is looking in MySQL for
> hosts
> that have the allocated address.  It just so happens that Kea actually
>
> conducted a search in MySQL prior to the last one show above.  This
> search is done by subnet id and dhcp identifier.   However the
> function
> that performs this search happens to be missing a log entry.  This is
> why you see  the two selects  you cited in the MySQL log but only one
> log message against the alternate.   The original function we used
> was deprecated without the new one getting a log message.  Sorry about
>
> that.
>
> On the surface, it looks like Kea should be matching your host, we're
> still researching it.  You might try defining your host in the
> configuration file, for testing purposes.   Do you have a packet
> capture
> and what version of Kea are you running?
>
> Thank you for your response. I don't have a packet capture at the
> moment, but I do see the HOSTS_MGR_ALTERNATE_ line just like yours.
> I'm running the ubuntu package which shows version 1.0.0, the package
> name is version 1.0.0-1build1. I know that's behind the curve, but
> sometimes don't these packages include bugfixes from newer versions
> than they report?
>
> I can begrudgingly compile from source, but would not be happy taking
> it outside the system package manager.
>
> I just tried to test by putting the host in the config file, got this
> startup error:
> DHCP4_PARSER_FAIL failed to create or run parser for configuration
> element subnet4: unsupported configuration parameter 'client-classes'
>
>  I think you meant client-classes failed to parse as part of the host

I think so, you mean the host element inside the subnet4 reservations
list, right? I put "client-classes" in a "reservations" entry in the
"subnet4" as such:

"subnet4": [ {
   "reservations": [ {
     "hw-address": "aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff",
     "client-classes": [ "test_class" ]
   }],
   "id": 1,
   "subnet": "192.168.1.0/24",

That's the right way to do it, correct? Version 1.0.0 didn't see
"client-classes" as valid in that context.

>  But yes, "client-classes" was added in 1.1.0.
> 1.1.0 added a good deal more functionality to the RDBMS Host
> Reservations implementations, as well as a lot more with
> classification expression matching.
>> Looks like assigning client-classes to host reservations was a
>> feature only added after version 1.0? Can you please confirm when it
>> was added?
>
> When an inbound packet is received things happen in this order:
>
> 1. The packet is classified by evaluating it against the test
> expression for defined classes
>
> 2. Subnet matching is conducted based on packet content.  This
> includes comparing the classes matched to the packet in step 1 against
> the classes specified by the subnet's "client-class" list.
>
> 3. Look for host reservations
>
> The problem you have is two fold.   First, your "test-class" does not
> define a "test" expression and thus matching it against a packet
> always fails.   This causes the subnet selection to fail and the
> server drops the packet.  The second issue is that you are assigning a
> class to the host reservation, but associating the client to a
> reservation occurs after the subnet selection.  This is something of a
> chicken-and-the-egg situation.

This question did come up when I was reading the docs. It does seem like
the host class assignment needs to happen earlier and in a different
configuration scope.

> So while you can specify that a host belongs to one or more classes,
> this currently only means the host inherits options from those
> classes.
>
> I think it would help to understand what problem you are trying to
> solve.  Are you trying to ensure that only known clients get
> addresses?

Yes, that's the primary goal.

>  Are you trying to map specific hosts to specific subnets?

Secondary goal is not mapping hosts to subnets, but to pools within the
same subnet. (Later we will add subnets and map to those.)

>  How any hosts in how many subnets do you anticipate having?

Not many for now, but storing configuration information in a database is
a requirement in this case.

> If your network isn't large, you could define a class for each host
> whose "test" expression matches the host's hardware address. Then add
> these classes to the desired subnet4 client-class list.   Not ideal
> but it would work.  This would be akin to ISC DHCP sub-classing,
> though not quite as neat.   Another alternative would be to write a
> hook but we would need to understand your problem to offer a more
> detailed suggestion.  Our example hook library, user-chk,  does
> something similar to what you're after and is a good starting point
> for what is possible,
> http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#idp54000992.   Hooks are
> described in detail in our developer's guide:
> https://jenkins.isc.org/job/Kea_doc/doxygen/df/d46/hooksdgDevelopersGuide.html.

Sounds like Kea doesn't support a "known-clients" type of configuration.
I'll read about hooks next, but I wouldn't think the "known-clients"
feature is unusual - is this design issue something that will be
addressed in a future version without the need for external hook
libraries?

Now, I read briefly about user-chk. Reading a text file upon each packet
arrival doesn't sound efficient, regardless our requirement is using a
database. Would it be possible to:

1. remove "client-class" from the subnet so all clients can initially be
assigned to the subnet just for purposes of working around the
chicken/egg problem you mentioned
2. assign class names to known clients using the existing database
reservations system (note, class would be defined in config file with no
"test" expression and our reservations have NULL for the IP address)
3. have the user-chk hook library inspect the assigned class and deny or
reassign if the class is empty (not having been assigned in step 2)

If this is possible, can I do it in version 1.0 or is 1.1.0 required for
any of the above?