[Kea-users] ISC DHCP shared-network {} and Kea

Marcin Siodelski marcin at isc.org
Mon Nov 28 13:30:27 UTC 2016

One possible way to deal with this problem is to use the Kea client
classification mechanisms. The Kea Administrator's Manual, sections:

 http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-client-classifier
 http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#classify

describe how client classification can be used to influence subnet
selection for a given client. There is a bunch of values from the
client's message you can look into to classify the client. But, whether
it works for you or not mostly depends on how you determine that this
client on a shared link should belong to this subnet, and the other
belongs to another subnet. Do you have any database of known / unknown
clients that you want to use? How are the clients identified, by their
MAC address?

The most flexible approach, but potentially requiring some coding, is to
use a hooks library. Kea sources include a "User Check" hooks library
(in src/hooks/dhcp/user_chk/) which is intended to do what you want:
assign one subnet to known clients, assign another subnet to unknown
clients. The known clients are stored in a text file which the hook
library reads.

I suggest you have a look into the Kea Developer's Guide:
https://jenkins.isc.org/job/Kea_doc/doxygen/d8/db2/libdhcp_user_chk.html

for the documentation of the UserCheck library. You may also want to
watch the webinar about hooks development, which uses User Check library
as an example.

Cheers,

Marcin Siodelski
ISC