[Kea-users] Client-ID (option 61)

Duane Wylie duane.wylie at eatel.com
Fri Aug 11 14:43:22 UTC 2017

Many thanks to those who responded to help me with this.  Initially, I resolved this by modifying a user-supplied patch to remove this option from sent packets.

Today, I found the "proper" solution in the 1.2.0 documentation.  This is tested and working.

8.2.17. Echoing Client-ID (RFC 6842)

The original DHCPv4 specification (RFC 2131<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2131>) states that the DHCPv4 server must not send back client-id options when responding to clients. However, in some cases that confused clients that did not have MAC address or client-id; see RFC 6842<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6842>. for details. That behavior has changed with the publication of RFC 6842<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6842> which updated RFC 2131<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2131>. That update states that the server must send client-id if the client sent it. That is Kea's default behavior. However, in some cases older devices that do not support RFC 6842<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6842>. may refuse to accept responses that include the client-id option. To enable backward compatibility, an optional configuration parameter has been introduced. To configure it, use the following configuration statement:

"Dhcp4": {
    "echo-client-id": false,
}

Duane Wylie