[Kea-users] Kea leases import/insert

Thomas Markwalder tmark at isc.org
Wed Jan 18 16:54:59 UTC 2017

On 1/18/17 11:02 AM, Olivier Français wrote:
> That's exactly what we want to do :)
> We can dev a tool/script to translate ISC DHCP lease database into kea
> one.
>
> But, is it a problem for kea to add leases in the database ?
> Kea has to be stopped for that ?

Hello Olivier:

Whether or not it is a problem depends largely on which lease backend
you are using. If you are using the default, Memfile, you would need to
stop the Kea first.  Two reasons: first Kea would be unaware of leases
added to the end of the lease file so there would be nothing to prevent
it from handing out these leases.  Memfile uses the lease file as a
journal but it tracks leases in memory.  The files are only ever loaded
upon startup and reconfigure. Second: you might attempt a write to the
file at the same time as Kea and this might corrupt entries in the file.

If you are using MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Cassandra you should be able to
insert leases while Kea as it uses the DB to track leases. You would run
at least some risk of colliding with a lease that Kea is attempting to
hand out at the same time you insert it.

Thomas Markwalder

ISC Software Engineering