[Kea-users] Force DHCP option in response

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Thu Jul 6 14:16:56 UTC 2017

Arne Baeumler writes:
> is there a way to append non standard dhcp options not explicitly
> requested by the client?
> We use DHCP option 43 to provide ACS URL to our CPE's.
> The majority of our CPEs (AVM Fritz!Box) do not request option 43 in
> their DHCP Request.
>
> In ISC DHCPD we added within the shared-network configuration:
>
>     append dhcp-parameter-request-list 43;
>
> Is there anything similar to "append" in Kea?

=> not yet (it is half done in the code and there is already a ticket
asking to finish this). I am afraid you have to write a hook which
patches the PRL (option 55 dhcp-parameter-request-list) as this feature
is implemented in ISC DHCP (it will be more user friendly in future Kea).

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>

PS: from RFC 2132:

9.8. Parameter Request List

   This option is used by a DHCP client to request values for specified
   configuration parameters.  The list of requested parameters is
   specified as n octets, where each octet is a valid DHCP option code
   as defined in this document.

   The client MAY list the options in order of preference.  The DHCP
   server is not required to return the options in the requested order,
   but MUST try to insert the requested options in the order requested
   by the client.

   The code for this option is 55.  Its minimum length is 1.

    Code   Len   Option Codes