[Kea-users] Migrating vom ISC DHCP

Christian Kratzer ck at cksoft.de
Mon Jun 5 08:46:26 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am posting my experience from evaluation migration of an DHCP based FTTH setup from ISC DHCP to KEA.

After browsing through the available documentation and roadmaps I identified a couple of issues.

1. shared networks:
-------------------

this is one is a show stopper for 1.2 as the setup makes extensive use of shared networks. I was very happy to see shared networks on the roadmap for 1.3 though.  I have started digging the trac database for details on individual milestones.  I would be happy to provide input,  engage in discussion if possible and do early testing in our lab.  Not sure where the communication is currently taking place.

I can also detail our use case in more depth if required but I think ISC style shared networks with pools joined over multiple subnets describes it quite well.

2. lease info and options:
--------------------------

I was also quite happy to see a that a rest api for leases is in the works for 1.3

The use case here is a bit more special.  We currently using option82 circuit-id and remote-id with ISC DHCP not only to provide fixed addresses for host reservations but also to lookup agent options by ip in the isc lease database.  The main use case for this is so that the ACS (tr069 autoconfiguration) server can identifiy customer cpe by their line id.

ISC DHCP also stores agent options in the lease database which is the main feature that makes this possible.

We have subsequently hacked up OMAPI to include agent options in the lease lookup.

For this to work in KEA we would need to have specific options stored in the lease.  Some early design documents I found seem to have thought of this but the current releae does not have anything.

What would my options be on adding this to KEA or getting a workaround with hooks in place.

I would like to add following options the the lease database for ipv4:  agent.circuit-id, agent-remote-id.

For ipv6 we currently use option 18 interface-id.  Due to the nature of of v6 ldra design we would propably need to store the whole chain of option 18 interface-id and option 37 remote-id into the lease perhaps as an array.

Can this be done through a hook ?   I would provide a pull request if I succeed.

3. isc style if statements in subnets.

We currently add specific options to replies in specific subnets only depending on further criteria like firmware version supplied in other options.

I started thinking about implementing this in KEA with classes and matching those classes in host reservations included into the specific sunets.  Would that work ?  Is my requirement clear enough ?

Looking forward to any feedback.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2