[Kea-users] dynamic dns hostname conflict

professor geek prg33k at gmail.com
Thu May 18 17:21:03 UTC 2017

Hello the list,

As far as i know same behaviour apply when we use kea for dhcpv4 and dhcpv6
with ddns for the same client on the same dns zone.
The only workaround today
<http://airmail.calendar/2017-05-18%2012:00:00%20GMT+2> is to have separate
dns zone for v4 and v6 lease.

Regards,

Pr

On 18 May 2017 at 18:14:28 , Thomas Markwalder (tmark at isc.org) wrote:

On 5/1/17 6:19 AM, Thomas Markwalder wrote:

Hello Pawel:

Kea's DDNS process, kea-dhcp-ddns, implements conflict detection/resolution
as described in RFC 4703 (http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=4703).
This behavior restricts DDNS updates for a given FQDN (hostname), to a
single client as identified by its DHCID.  Therefore,  if  one client
creates DNS entries for a hostname, "example.host.com", and later a
different client attempts to add/replace/delete those entries,  the updates
will be rejected.   The intent is to prevent different clients from owning
the same name.

I did notice that we do not describe this in our administrator's guide as
we should.  I have created a bug ticket to update the documentation (
http://kea.isc.org/ticket/5275#ticket).  We may include a configurable
parameter that turns this policy on and off.   If you this functionality
you would like to see added,  your cause would be aided by opening an
enhancement ticket: http://kea.isc.org/newticket .  This helps us know what
issues are important to our users.

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder