[Kea-users] Help diagnosing (and potentially addressing) a possible performance problem?

Rasmus Edgar regj at arch-ed.dk
Thu Oct 5 09:02:28 UTC 2017

Hi Klaus,

I have seen something very similar on vmware with another application
receiving a lot udp traffic and unfortunately we never found a solution
for it and switched to bare metal as a workaround, which has irked me
ever since and I'm interested in finding a root causes for these kinds
of problems.

As far as I understand, and according to the netstat man page, Recv-Q is
the count of bytes not yet copied by the user program connected to the
socket.

Do you have special rules, execute something or do dns lookups when
handling dhcp requests?

Have you read the comments on ALLOC_ENGINE_V4_ALLOC_FAIL?

"% ALLOC_ENGINE_V4_ALLOC_FAIL %1: failed to allocate an IPv4 address
after %2 attempt(s)
The DHCP allocation engine gave up trying to allocate an IPv4 address
after the specified number of attempts.  This probably means that the
address pool from which the allocation is being attempted is either
empty, or very nearly empty.  As a result, the client will have been
refused a lease. The first argument includes the client identification
information.

This message may indicate that your address pool is too small for the
number of clients you are trying to service and should be expanded.
Alternatively, if the you know that the number of concurrently active
clients is less than the addresses you have available, you may want to
consider reducing the lease lifetime.  In this way, addresses allocated
to clients that are no longer active on the network will become
available
sooner."

Br,

Rasmus