[Kea-users] one interface, multiple subnets

Marco Broglia marco.broglia at mutex.it
Mon Oct 16 15:57:25 UTC 2017

We (a university) are using the old ISC DHCP server (v4.2.4) and we'd like
to adopt the new Kea DHCP Server.

We setup a Kea Dhcp server with a given ip (ex 10.1.1.1). We have to
configure/xfer about 200 subnets 10.x.y.0/24 with out-of-pool reservations
and (possibly) dynamic dns update. No dynamic pools.

I read in the reference ("8.6. How the DHCPv4 Server Selects a Subnet for
the Client")

  "the server will only process messages received through this interface
from a directly connected client if there is a subnet configured to which
this IPv4 address belongs".

How can we configure a multi subnet environment ? Every subnet has its own
id and router (gateway) and other options. Eg id 10230, subnet 10.2.3.0/24,
routers 10.2.3.1.

First tests shown that all the dhcp requests from client in that subnet are
ignored because there is no interface on that subnet on the server. We
can't setup 200 virtual interfaces on the server (for several reasons: vlan
management, maintenance, ...) and we can't define all the hosts in the same
/8 subnet.

Any help ?

--
# Marco Broglia
# via per Vimodrone 9, 20093 Cologno Monzese (MI)
# email: marco.broglia at mutex.it