[Kea-users] Subclass and include files

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Tue Oct 17 17:58:01 UTC 2017

Hi

I am considering when a move to Kea would be appropriate for my small
network.

The latest version seems to have most of the features I use in dhcpd today.

I use subclass for keeping a list of devices that are allowed to be
given an address and depending on the class they match, they will be
given a gateway or not (I want some devices to NOT be able to
communicate to the Internet). Devices that do not belong to any class
are given an address in a different subnet with no routing to the
general network.

I don't find an equivalent to this in Kea, so how would be the best way
to translate my subclass statements to "something" in Kea?

Today I use a separate file for defining all the subclass members and
include that in the main configuration file, so I only edit that file
when a new device is added. Can a file be included into the main
configuration in Kea?

I know these security measures are not really secure but they seem to be
sufficient at the moment, so I don't look for anything ironclad, just
enough to keep the classes separate for my convenience.

At some day in the future I expect to use a MySql database as the main
storage, but not right now. The future also brings ipV6 configuration.

Any comments on the best approach are much welcome.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: