[Kea-users] Updating kea.conf - does it need a daemon restart

Neil Briscoe neil.briscoe at 6point6.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 15:35:27 UTC 2017

Thanks for the speedy reply Thomas.

Is “kill –SIGHUP <pid for kea>” the same as “service kea-dhcp4-server restart” or is this slightly different?

Thanks,

Neil Briscoe | e. neil.briscoe at 6point6.co.uk | t. +44 7793 056923 <tel:+44+7557+526+550> | w. www.6point6.co.uk <http://www.6point6.co.uk/>

On 14/09/2017, 15:39, "Kea-users on behalf of Thomas Markwalder" <kea-users-bounces at lists.isc.org on behalf of tmark at isc.org> wrote:

    On 9/14/17 10:10 AM, Neil Briscoe wrote:

    > One of the main reasons I have gone down the KEA route over the older
    > DHCPd is due to the fact that the documentation says I can
    > add/change/remove scopes from the configuration file *_without having
    > to restart the daemon_* – which is important as I have approx. 10,000
    > subnet scopes…!
    >

    > At the minute, during testing, I am restarting the daemon every time,
    > which isn’t a problem.
    >

    > Q – if I made changes to the kea.conf file (adding scopes), does the
    > kea daemon feed these in and make the changes active automatically?
    >
    > Q – if it does it automatically, how often does it check/reload the
    > configuration?

    It does not detect the changes automatically.   You can instruct Kea to
    reload it a couple of ways:

    1. Send the process SIGHUP
    2. Sendi the config-reload command via control channel (See Kea Admin
    guide: Chapter 16, Management API
    http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#ctrl-channel)

    Regards,

    Thomas Markwalder