[Kea-users] Kea and High Availability (Pacemaker / Corosync)

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Tue Aug 14 23:48:01 UTC 2018

> On Aug 14, 2018, at 11:53 AM, Sutherland, Robert <Robert.B.Sutherland at windstream.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> Here’s a switch: I’m not looking for assistance! I just want to share what I’ve learned.
>
> I’ve been prototyping Kea (1.3 and now moving to 1.4) with the following configuration:
>
> SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (version 12 and now 15)
> Pacemaker / Corosync as a high-availability framework in a two-node cluster
> Postgresql to store leases (in a replicated master/slave configuration)
>
> The setup worked very well. The one downside I experienced had to do with leases and subnets. If a subnet is removed, active leases are not automatically removed from the database. Perhaps the behavior is different in 1.4 (I just finished creating the RPMs).

I believe this is the intended behavior. The client still has the lease until it is up for renewal so it should stay in the active lease db. When it tries to renew, it will fail and will end up with another address.

If you are using DHCPv6, there is a feature called IPv6 reconfigure, that can force a client to reconfigure right away. Kea doesn’t support this yet but support for reconfiguring individual clients is coming in Kea 1.5 (a 2018 GSOC intern wrote this feature). I don’t believe it will support reconfiguring an entire subnet’s worth of clients though.  I don’t think there is an equivalent feature in DHCPv4.

- Vicky