[Kea-users] What is the relation between Kea version and PostgreSQL schema version ?

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Tue Feb 27 15:43:15 UTC 2018

On 02/27/18 16:26, Stéphane Klein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see schema version in PostgreSQL init file:
> https://github.com/isc-projects/kea/blob/master/src/share/database/scripts/pgsql/dhcpdb_create.pgsql
>
> schema version 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0.
>
> What is the relation between Kea version and schema version ?
It's just a version used to determine whether the DB should be upgraded
or not during upgrading to new Kea version. Sometimes there are no
changes in the schema, even though Kea version has changed. For example
Kea 1.2 used Postgres schema 3.1 and so did Kea 1.3, because in the
meantime nothing was changed in the schema.

Each backend has its own schema version number. We bump up major version
when there are backward incompatible changes. We bump minor versions
when there are smaller changes that are generally backward compatible.

Details in Section 4.1:
http://kea.isc.org/docs/kea-guide.html#kea-database-version

> Schema version 3.0 for Kea 1.3 ?
3.1 for Postgres, 5.1 for MySQL and 1.0 for Cassandra.

Tomek