[Kea-users] Why aren't remote-id, circuit-id, and interface-id treated the same for v4 and v6?

Tim Howe tim.h at bendtel.com
Tue Jan 9 03:22:17 UTC 2018

I'm happy to write a long email about what I want to do if it helps,
but maybe someone can explain to me why I can configure multiple
customer assignments in the same subnet (and thus same vlan) for DHCPv4
using circuit-id or remote-id, but for DHCPv6 it is at a different
level in the hierarchy, only available under the subnet.  This forces a
different subnet (and thus different vlan) for each customer assignment.

	How are you supposed to have a native dual-stack configuration
if you can't have your v6 network in the same subnet as your v4
network?  The only way seems to be to either give up on controlling the
specific assignments or force a static config.

	My gPON gear (and DSL gear) assume v4 option-82 and v6
option-18 will be used in an equivalent fashion, but Kea seems to have
been designed with a very different idea about their comparative usage.

--TimH