[Kea-users] (no subject)

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Fri Jan 12 18:12:45 UTC 2018

Jason Guy writes:
> > => there is a documentation somewhere but I don't remember where it is...
> > I am afraid it is only for one of the 2 SQL backends but it works in fact
> > for both (Cassandra is another thing and this afternoon it did not support
> > host reservation :-).
>
> I currently have mysql, but if postgres is required for this, I would
> switch backends
> if necessary, since I am currently planning to redeploy the services in the
> network.
> I will read the docs again and see what I can find.

=> I believed someone would add a pointer to the doc in the list...
There are not enough difference between MySQL and PostgreSQL to require
a switch. IMHO if you know only one you should keep it...

Ah! Got it: http://kea.isc.org/wiki/HostReservationsHowTo
(and it is for both! Perhaps not very up-to-date but you are not running
the very last code too, in particulaer in production :-).

> This does makes sense. I was not sure what exactly is entered in the column
> for a given
> host reservation. I assumed it was just a class name defined globally or
> under the
> subnet. For the other fields  (next_server, hostname, or boot_file_name), I
> would
> expect to simply enter the option data expected (ipv4 address or ascii
> string).

=> yes, there is a minimal encoding between JSON and database representation.
I can look at the code if you'd like...
classes: <class1>,<class2>,... without a space after comma
hostname: <hostname> i.e. the string as it
next_server: <int> or NULL (same than the ip-address)
dhcp4_server_hostname and dhcp4_boot_file_name: strings

You have some constraints in length so I recommend to read the schema
(SQL is supposed to be user friendly and you have "shells" to play with).

Regards

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>