[Kea-users] kea http uefi boot

Klaus Steden klausfiend at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 22:44:33 UTC 2018

The UEFI section of my DHCP config looks like this:

{
  "name": "bootstrap-efi",
  "test": "substring(option[60].hex, 0, 20) == 'PXEClient:Arch:00007'",
  "option-data": [
    {
      "name": "boot-file-name",
      "data": "ipxe/snponly.efi"
    },
    {
      "name": "domain-name-servers",
      "data": "$nameserver1, $nameserver2"
    }
  ]
}

My embedded IPXE script (used when building *snponly.efi)* looks like this:

#!ipxe

goto boot_${platform} ||
shell

:boot_efi
dhcp || goto failed_dhcp
chain ${bootstrap_server}/${net0/mac} || goto failed_chain

:failed_dhcp
echo DHCP configuration failed, dropping to iPXE shell
shell
exit

:failed_chain
echo Chain loading failed, dropping to iPXE shell
shell
exit

The actual boot stanza looks a bit like this:

#!ipxe
set base_url $bootstrap_server

kernel ${base_url}/linux
initrd ${base_url}/initrd.gz

imgargs linux noapic acpi=off auto=true fb=false ip=dhcp
ipv6.disable=1 interface=eth0 biosdevname=0 init=/init root=/dev/ram0
rdshell url=${base_url}/preseed/${net0/mac} language=en country=US
locale=C priority=critical netcfg/dhcp_timeout=120 initrd=initrd.gz ||
boot ||

I don't do a lot of UEFI, but the above works quite well for us. Don't
forget to disable IMAGE_COMBOOT if you use the same embedded script for
both UEFI and BIOS mode, and to include the initrd in the boot stanza of
your actual iPXE bootstrap (BIOS doesn't need that option in the kernel
command line, but UEFI does). You could combine all of these into a single
IPXE script, but YMMV.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Klaus