[Kea-users] Best practice recommendation for reserving/blocking out VIPs?

Klaus Steden klausfiend at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 00:02:47 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

We had a new (for us) problem come up, and I wanted to poll the community
informally to see how everyone else has approached the issue.

We have a Windows cluster that uses L3 HA and passes a VIP back and forth
between two or more physical hosts.

To ensure that a Linux machine doesn't claim any of these addresses during
our standard provisioning procedure, we blocked out the IPs for these
physical hosts using reservations with the primary MACs of the machines
themselves, but we weren't sure what to do to then block out the VIP.

We settled on blocking out the VIP by creating a reservation using the MAC
address of an unused NIC on one of the physical machines, but that seems
like a bit of a kludge.

If you've had to deal with this problem out there in Kea-land, how did you
approach it?

cheers,
Klaus