[Kea-users] 1.4 - limit subnet to static reservations/leases

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Thu Feb 14 13:35:55 UTC 2019

On 14.02.2019 12:20, ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ wrote:
> Though perhaps a bit off topic, please bear with me, I have been
> wondering about DUID in ipv4 since thought that it would be only
> applicable to ipv6?
That was the original idea. But then the reality kicked in. The primary
use case for DUIDs in ipv4 is to be able to match requests coming from
dual-stack devices.

> To my understanding the DUID would be provided by the dhcp client but I
> have not found way to figure the clients's ipv4 DUID, all linux distros,
> in order to use it for host reservation. Neither iproute2 nor ifupdown2
> seem to provide that information. Is there a way to harvest those ipv4 DUID?
Not sure. If the client supports it, as a last resort you can capture
the traffic and extract its client-id option. That's not exactly a
convenient way, I admit that. I found a discussion about it on systemd
github: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/394. It mentions some
pull requests that apparently were merged. You may want to look around
that area and see if anything comes up.

Tomek