[Kea-users] Client class in host reservation

Maria Hrabosova maria.hrabosova at cern.ch
Fri Dec 11 16:42:00 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have a question about reserving client classes to hosts. Let's have
two client classes and one host reservation as follows:

/{//
//     "name": "class1",//
//     "boot-file-name": "file1",//
//}, /

/{//
//     "name": "class2",//
//     "boot-file-name": "file2",//
//},/

//

/...//
/

/{//
//    "hw-address": "aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff",//
//    "client-classes": [//
//        "class2"//
//    ]//
//},/

Intuitively, I would expect it to be enough to specify class2 in the
host reservation in order to make the host get the boot-file-name from
class2. But it gets it from class1. Inspired by
http://kea-users.7364.n8.nabble.com/Kea-users-client-classes-for-a-particular-MAC-Address-of-a-CPE-td843.html,
I added the mac address of the host to the class test. Then the client
got the option from class2 as I wanted.

/{//
//     "name": "class2",//
//     "test": "pkt4.mac == 0xaabbccddeeff",//
//     "boot-file-name": "file2",//
//},/

I've been wondering, what is the purpose of putting the client class to
the host reservation, if I have to put the client's MAC address to the
class test anyway. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Maria Hrabosova