[Kea-users] Looking for more example option definitions

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Fri Jul 31 22:30:36 UTC 2020

How do I define vendor options for the XYZ cable modem, or voip phone?  seems to be a popular question.

This is not something we at ISC can really help users with, because we don’t have a lot of random devices, or in fact any cable equipment or similar CPE.  However, if you guys want to contribute some example configurations, we can publish them for other users.

If you have a configuration with a working option definition for a specific device and you would be willing to share, I would be happy to find some place to publish these for other users.  We have, for example, a directory of example Kea dhcp4 configurations with comments in the Kea distribution (https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/tree/master/doc/examples/kea4 <https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/tree/master/doc/examples/kea4>).

Please include the Kea version you tested this with, which option it is (option 43, or 125) and of course, as much information as is necessary to identify the device (e.g. mfgr and model if there is one). Feel free to include comments in your configuration snippet to help other users understand what you did and why.

You can share on the list, or post a comment on this ticket in the Kea Gitlab (https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues/1362 <https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues/1362>), or unicast to me.

If anyone has a suggestion for how we could make defining non-standard options easier, I am also interested in that.

Regards,

Vicky Risk