[Kea-users] i do not understand the concept of shared networks

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Wed Mar 11 16:13:54 UTC 2020

On 11/03/2020 14:40, Giso Kegel wrote:
> The most important sentence here is that
> "...In all of the above, there is no mention of Host Reservations..."
> for me it is exactly the use case that almost all the subnet definitions
> are host reservations.
I think you are confusing two things. Subnet definitions are NOT host
reservations. Subnets describe the topology of your network. Host
reservations describe special treatment for some devices in your network.

> The second point is
> "... it doesn't matter which subnet provides the address to a client,
> any/all should work just fine. ..."
> That's the point a server should only get an IP from his specific
> network via host reservation.
I don't fully understand your intention here. The following may possibly
help. If you want Kea server to only provide IP addresses to the devices
that are listed in your host reservations, you may want to skip pools
altogether.

Kea would then provide addresses only to those devices that you
explicitly listed. Note this has nothing to do with presence or absence
of shared networks.

> That means i do not need Shared Networks!?
If you don't understand what shared networks do, you absolutely don't
need them. In fact, the general recommendation is to not use shared
networks unless you have a good reason to do that. Without shared
networks the logic Kea has to deal with is simpler, so in general it's
more preferred.

Tomek