[Kea-users] Any updates on different subdomains for different subnets?

Oscar Carlsson oscar at prutt.party
Tue Aug 10 22:37:04 UTC 2021

Hi,

I've seen a few threads regarding having different subdomains for
different subnets, but I've never figured out if it's supported or not.

The usecase is this:

192.168.1.0/24 -> clients.home.arpa
192.168.2.0/24 -> iot.home.arpa
192.168.3.0/24 -> services.home.arpa

Currently qualifying-suffix seems to be global:

  "Dhcp4": {
    "dhcp-ddns": {
      "enable-updates": true,
      "qualifying-suffix": "home.arpa."
    },

...which means that all ddns updates are given this suffix.  If I set it
to home.arpa. all my hosts gets this suffix, as expected.

With isc-dhcp I could just define each zone globally and then specify
the domainname per subnet, which was pretty neat.

Do we have a workaround for kea instead?  I've seen some mentions of
fixing this with a hook but I'm not too familiar with this.

Advice appreciated :-)

Oscar