[Kea-users] Kea allocates addresses from the wrong subnet

chris at slater-walker.net chris at slater-walker.net
Wed Jan 6 18:19:01 UTC 2021

I'm experiencing a strange issue with Kea issuing to some DHCP clients an IP address from the wrong subnet and associated pool. This means in effect that clients on my local LAN/WLAN are getting IP addresses from the guest WLAN. It is not happening to all clients however. At present I have one phone and one laptop affected.
I have 2 subnets configured in both IPv4 and IPv6 but my problem seems to be limited to IPv4, and at this time I'm really only interested in IPv4.
I'm running a single server (Ubuntu) with 2 interfaces: bond0 and bond0.100 - these interfaces are both working fine and are brought up at boot time.
IP addressing:
bond0: 192.168.2.253
bond0.100: 192.168.100.3
The attached Cisco 2960g switch has the correct native and tagged VLANs configured.
Kea is listening on both interfaces, and in the subnet4 / subnet config I have specified a specific interface for each subnet.
Config as follows (I've cut out a lot of option and reservation config so the JSON formatting might look wrong):
{
"Dhcp4": {
    "interfaces-config": {
        "interfaces": [
            "bond0/192.168.2.253",
            "bond0.100/192.168.100.3"
        ]
    },
    "control-socket": {
        "socket-type": "unix",
        "socket-name": "/tmp/kea-dhcp4-ctrl.sock"
    },
    "lease-database": {
        "type": "memfile",
        "persist": true,
        "lfc-interval": 3600
    },
    "expired-leases-processing": {
        "reclaim-timer-wait-time": 10,
        "flush-reclaimed-timer-wait-time": 25,
        "hold-reclaimed-time": 3600,
        "max-reclaim-leases": 100,
        "max-reclaim-time": 250,
        "unwarned-reclaim-cycles": 5
    },
    "renew-timer": 7200,
    "rebind-timer": 14400,
    "valid-lifetime": 28800,
    "subnet4": [
        {
            "subnet": "192.168.2.0/24",
            "interface": "bond0",
            "pools": [
                {
                    "pool": "192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.199"
                }
            ],
        {
            "subnet": "192.168.100.0/24",
            "interface": "bond0.100",
            "pools": [
                {
                    "pool": "192.168.100.100 - 192.168.100.199"
                }
            ],
        }
    ]
},
}
If anyone has any idea if I'm doing something wrong I'd be grateful to hear it.
Thanks,
Chris Slater-Walker