[Kea-users] Cassandra backend deprecated in Kea 1.9.9

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Wed Jul 28 16:40:38 UTC 2021

Kea users,

We are planning to remove the support for storing leases and host reservations in Cassandra from Kea. We have announced this with the Kea 1.9.9 release (See the release notes and the ARM -https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-1.9.9/arm/install.html#cassandra-cql-support <https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-1.9.9/arm/install.html#cassandra-cql-support>.)   At this point, we are just adding a warning, to alert any users to plan a migration. The Cassandra backend will still work in the upcoming Kea 2.0 version.  We will be removing support entirely in a future release tbd, probably Kea 2.2.

The Kea ARM and the blog posted today (https://www.isc.org/blogs/2021-07-28-kea-cassandra-deprecation/ <https://www.isc.org/blogs/2021-07-28-kea-cassandra-deprecation/>) explain our reasons. Basically, this is a relatively unpopular feature that is also a lot of work to maintain and even more work to extend. It doesn’t seem like the best use of our limited resources to continue it, given that we have many more requests to add other features.

Regards,

Vicky Risk
Product Manager