[Kea-users] KEA 2.1.0, dhcp6, netbooting via HTTPv6 in qemu

Erik Edwards erik at emedwards.info
Sat Nov 20 19:17:19 UTC 2021

Hello,

I am attempting to netboot a VM in qemu on fedora UEFI w/o secure boot
to the point of loading grub from my httpd process. All isc- processes,
httpd, and VM's are running on the same physical machine. Host is Fedora
34 on x86_64.

IPv4 netboot (iPXE,tftp, http, BIOS, UEFI) are all working. IPv6 works
in tftp boot mode, but HTTP boot mode is asking for the vendor-class
item to be returned, but I can't find the documentation on how to
assemble this particular option for the v6 config file.

Here is the relevant line from the config:

{ "name": "vendor-class", "data": "HTTPClient" }

And here's the error msg:

2021-11-20 13:06:41.499 ERROR [kea-dhcp6.dhcp6/690649.140570442086528]
DHCP6_PARSER_FAIL failed to create or run parser for configuration
element client-classes: option data does not match option definition
(space: dhcp6, code: 16): number of data fields for the option type '16'
is greater than number of values provided. (/etc/kea/kea-dhcp6.conf:91:38)

I'm guessing the option needs vendor-class-id added in some how, but
can't figure out how nor find an example.

-Erik