[Kea-users] Understanding how perfdhcp measures drops

jarl jarl at mail.com
Sun May 1 15:28:41 UTC 2022

Hello,

This is probably a silly question, but I can't seem to be able to wrap my head around it.

I'm testing perfdhcp 2.0.2 in Ubuntu 20.04.

The perfdhcp documentation (https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.0.2/man/perfdhcp.8.html) says:

"By default, if there is no response received with 1 second, a response is considered lost and perfdhcp continues with other transactions."

So, I would think that any run of perfdhcp would take, by default, at least 1 second to complete, because it needs at least 1 second to conclude that a request was dropped.

However, I tested an example such as:

perfdhcp -n 200 <DHCP_SERVER_IP>

Yes, I realize that 200 requests is meaningless as a load test. But what confuses me is that this command takes well under 1 second to run, and it still reports dropped requests.

Using different values in the -d command-line switch doesn't seem to make it take any longer to run.

There is probably something simple that I'm misunderstanding.

What am I missing?

Thank you.