Open Source Registry Projects?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Feb 10 08:19:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:22:12AM -0800,
 Joe Abley <jabley at isc.org> wrote
 a message of 13 lines which said:

> There's no problem continuing this discussion here.

In that case, I can mention the limits we found for OpenReg, when
comparing it to *our* set of requirments (YMMV).

- Only one registration policy (basically the one of
".org"). Implementing another policy means forking and hacking
Perl. But the ccTLD have very diverse registration policies.

- No interface for the registry staff or for the ordinary user (you
have to develop it, may be as EPP clients or may be by plugging into
the message bus).

- The only interface for the registrars is EPP, which I regard as
completely unrealistic for most countries.