installing openreg on a remote server

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sun Apr 22 21:25:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 12:35:04PM -0600,
 Luis Diego Espinoza S. <lespinoz at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 68 lines which said:

> This can tell you something about this software.  I have many
> problems trying to put on working and another people from other
> NIC?s tell that is broken.

Please do not refer to anonymous reviewers. If people have issues with
OpenReg, they can certainly post here (or directly to ISC). Otherwise,
saying that "another people tell ..." is useless because I could say,
for instance "many people from the largest NICs told me that OpenReg
is great".

Now, to the software itself. I do not think you can design a registry
software which is "double-clickable": a registry is a complex and
delicate thing, it is not a word-processor. A registry software is
closer to a library than to a "double-clickable" program: it is
intended for people who will work on it, not just with it. Some
aspects of the registry business (for instance the varieties of
registration policies) make it that way.

If you know a registry software which is better than OpenReg, speak up
and say the name, an informed comparison could certainly be useful for
everyone.

In my experience, OpenReg is certainly not easy to install but all the
competitors I tried are not better in that respect (they may have
other strengths).