[Stork-dev] Welcome to the stork-dev list and some early notes

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Thu Oct 3 20:32:01 UTC 2019

Hi there! And welcome to the stork-dev, a mailing list focused on the
latest ISC project called Stork. Its goal is to provide a unified
management platform for Kea and BIND.

Stork is and for some time will be in very early stages of development.
As such, there is no stork-users yet. The development page for Stork is
here: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/stork/

As for the early decisions, the Stork team has been meeting on Tuesdays
for quite a while now. Several topics were discussed.

1. We will use a single repo. The arguments for keeping a separate repo
for go back-end, angular front-end and possibly command line cli were:
a) a clean separation; b) keeping other possible clients on equal
footing c) not that much in common between back-end and ui. The
arguments in favor of a single repo were: a) no problems mismatched
versions; b) easier CI processes; c) a lot more common between back-end
and ui in addition to API definition: docs, build scripts, overall
project files (readme, changelog, contributor's guide etc); d) we have
bad experiences with multiple repos in the Kea team.  The decision was
not unanimous. Time will tell if we made right decisions or not.

2. We want to follow the process that we have in Kea and DHCP. We write
down requirements first, the write and review a design, and the get to
coding. For each code change there should be a ticket the describes what
we want to do and why, accompanied with a merge request that has the
actual code changes. Before merging the code to master, every change has
to be reviewed. There will be a wiki page that describes the process
very soon. For the time being, feel free to look at this Kea page:
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/wikis/processes/gitlab-howto

3. After a long discussion, we decided to use go language for back-end
and stork agent and Angular with PrimeNG for the UI.

4. For a database of choice, the team prefers to use PostgreSQL, because
it's much more flexible than MySQL. In particular, the ability to write
triggers in a language other than SQL should come in very useful. This
will be tricky to reconcile with the fact that some Kea features (config
backend) are MySQL only. However, by the time Stork becomes usable be
average end user, we expect Kea to have postgres-based config backend.

5. There's very little information about Stork yet, but it will be
appearing soon. Make sure you take a look at Stork wiki from time to
time: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/stork/wikis/home

Yes, the process slows down the development pace a bit, but we're laying
foundations for a long term project right now. We don't want to mess
things up.

6. For the time being, we don't want to focus on code development and
don't get distracted with portability issues. As such, for the time
being the list of supported OSes is just Ubuntu 18.04. This will
absolutely be expanded in the future.

Welcome to the Stork project!
Tomek Mrugalski
ISC