Reverse mapping question

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Sun Aug 15 03:11:30 UTC 1999

"shh at tamu.edu" wrote:

> Is reverse mapping really necessary?  Would it be feasible for me to host a domain,
> without having the IP address delegated to my name server's control?

In short, no.. If you are the one receiving connections, then having
control over the reverse domain probably doesn't matter. However, if you
are sending things to a remote server, that server is going to want to
know  who you are. This doesn't matter for a lot of servers, but it is
extremely importing in smtp (email) to prevent spoofing (LOL).

A lot of web and ftp servers also care about mapping your ip address
back to a hostname. My employer will allow you to connect to our web
server without having a PTR record, but you will not be able to download
from our ftp site.

Michael Voight