BIND 8 slave & BIND 4.x primary

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Aug 16 17:20:27 UTC 1999

In article <553ad725.24e98822 at aol.com>,  <SOLARlS at aol.com> wrote:
>I also noticed that the date on my primary and secondary name servers are
>different.  The secondary is behind the primary by about 12 hours.
>
>This is what my /var/adm/messages looks like.  I have a lot of domain
>registrations.  So I in an a record said that uc.websgt.net is pointed at
>209.185.204.85 and all domain registrations have a CNAME pointing them at
>uc.websgt.net.  Can this cause a loop?  If the slave name server can't find a
>.db file in the primary will it just stop or will it skip it?

The slave server doesn't look for files on the primary, it just asks the
primary to transfer the zones.  But if the primary doesn't have a DB file
for a zone, it won't be able to transfer it.

>Also I found some mistakes in my named.conf in the slave bind 8.x name server
>then fixed the mistake changed some serial numbers and still can't get the
>name server to update properly.  Is there a problem with having a 4.x primary
>and 8.x slave.

There should be no problem with that combination, it's quite common
(especially when ISP's are providing secondary DNS while their customers
provide primary DNS).  The log messages say that you don't have your
primary servers configured properly, because they're not authoritative for
the domains they're supposed to be primary for.

>Aug 15 03:12:01 ns2 named-xfer[1558]: [209.185.204.85] not authoritative for
>123
>homebusiness.com, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 0, aucount 12
>Aug 15 03:21:44 ns2 named-xfer[1587]: [216.32.58.166] not authoritative for
>cand
>yncards.com, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 0, aucount 2

I tried querying each of these servers and didn't get any response at all.
Are they behind a firewall?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com