BIND 8 slave & BIND 4.x primary

SOLARlS at aol.com SOLARlS at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 18:36:56 UTC 1999

In a message dated 8/16/99 10:29:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
barmar at bbnplanet.com writes:

When I said that I just made CNAME records for any domains that share the
same IP address I meant this is how i did it.  Each domain still had its own
.db file.  Is a zone just another name for domain?
;
                            IN NS       ns1.websgt.net.
                            IN NS       ns2.jtinternet.com.
;
localhost                   IN A        127.0.0.1
123homebusiness.net.        IN CNAME    uc.websgt.net.
www.123homebusiness.net.    IN CNAME    uc.websgt.net.

I noticed that any .db files that I had created in this format didn't
transfer.  The only ones that transfered are the ones that had A records
pointing to an IP address instead of CNAME records.  I thought I was going to
cut a corner and make it easy to change IP addresses if I wanted to.  But I
guess I was wrong.  Do you have any feedback?

I found some mistakes in my dns files which were causing some problems but I
ironed them out.  I also removed some domains that were actually supposed to
be removed from my dns.  I am sure i still have some more cleaning to do.
Soon all DNS will be automated by good old Mr. Perl Script.  YEAH!!!!!!!

As of right now the only problem i have is that even though I have given each
domain (zone) its own .db file if I am using CNAME records instead of A
records the info wont copy over.

Greg

<< In article <553ad725.24e98822 at aol.com>,  <SOLARlS at aol.com> wrote:
 >I also noticed that the date on my primary and secondary name servers are
 >different.  The secondary is behind the primary by about 12 hours.
 >
 >This is what my /var/adm/messages looks like.  I have a lot of domain
 >registrations.  So I in an a record said that uc.websgt.net is pointed at
 >209.185.204.85 and all domain registrations have a CNAME pointing them at
 >uc.websgt.net.  Can this cause a loop?  If the slave name server can't find
 >.db file in the primary will it just stop or will it skip it?

 The slave server doesn't look for files on the primary, it just asks the
 primary to transfer the zones.  But if the primary doesn't have a DB file
 for a zone, it won't be able to transfer it.

 >Also I found some mistakes in my named.conf in the slave bind 8.x name
server
 >then fixed the mistake changed some serial numbers and still can't get the
 >name server to update properly.  Is there a problem with having a 4.x
primary
 >and 8.x slave.

 There should be no problem with that combination, it's quite common
 (especially when ISP's are providing secondary DNS while their customers
 provide primary DNS).  The log messages say that you don't have your
 primary servers configured properly, because they're not authoritative for
 the domains they're supposed to be primary for.

 >Aug 15 03:12:01 ns2 named-xfer[1558]: [209.185.204.85] not authoritative
for
 >123
 >homebusiness.com, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 0, aucount 12
 >Aug 15 03:21:44 ns2 named-xfer[1587]: [216.32.58.166] not authoritative for
 >cand
 >yncards.com, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 0, aucount 2

 I tried querying each of these servers and didn't get any response at all.
 Are they behind a firewall?

 Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
 Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
group.