BIND 8 slave & BIND 4.x primary

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Aug 19 18:47:46 UTC 1999

In article <47c7e38c.24eda8c8 at aol.com>,  <SOLARlS at aol.com> wrote:
>In a message dated 8/16/99 10:29:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>barmar at bbnplanet.com writes:
>
>When I said that I just made CNAME records for any domains that share the
>same IP address I meant this is how i did it.  Each domain still had its own
>.db file.  Is a zone just another name for domain?

Close enough, and I don't feel like going into the technical distinction.

>;
>                            IN NS       ns1.websgt.net.
>                            IN NS       ns2.jtinternet.com.
>;
>localhost                   IN A        127.0.0.1
>123homebusiness.net.        IN CNAME    uc.websgt.net.
>www.123homebusiness.net.    IN CNAME    uc.websgt.net.
>
>I noticed that any .db files that I had created in this format didn't
>transfer.  The only ones that transfered are the ones that had A records
>pointing to an IP address instead of CNAME records.  I thought I was going to
>cut a corner and make it easy to change IP addresses if I wanted to.  But I
>guess I was wrong.  Do you have any feedback?

You can't use a CNAME record for 123homebusiness.net.  A name cannot have
both a CNAME record and other records.  Since that name has SOA and NS
records, it can't also have CNAME records.

>As of right now the only problem i have is that even though I have given each
>domain (zone) its own .db file if I am using CNAME records instead of A
>records the info wont copy over.

That's because of the above rule, which has been explained many times in
this group, and I'm sure must be in the FAQ.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com